Tuesday 6 February 2007

Wandering around the world

My decision to travel around the world was, on the one hand, a rather impulsive one. After a conversation with my brother Phil (currently expatria in the Land Down Under), and an e-mail to my best friends from college, Lucy, who was on a medical placement in Peru, I decided it would be fun to meet her out in Lima (albeit only for a few days), rather than wait until her return to the UK. So from there, came a sketchy plan to spend three months in South America, which, in the space of less than a week, evolved into a RTW trip taking in South America for 3 months, 4 weeks in New Zealand, five-and-a-half months in Australia (principally to see my family, and to earn money to actually pay for the trip!), then taking 6 weeks to return via South East Asia. Since I set off on 20 January 2007, the more astute amongst you will notice that I am scheduled to be back in time for Christmas.

So all this is rather exciting and sudden. But is it? I have been thinking about a big adventure (a “gap year”, if you will), involving travel to far-flung places for a while; I think if I had to pin it down, I would say that my horizons were first opened to this possibility about a year ago when I was studying in Paris, and I met people (Belgians, mostly!) who had experienced much more exciting adventures than the orchestra tours I have been on to such places as Barcelona, Stockholm and St. Petersburg, beautiful as they are.

The time-line of events went something along the lines of the realisation that I had to stop doing what I was doing and go somewhere else occurring on a Wednesday, the realisation that I would have to hand my notice in at work on the Thursday, and actually doing it on the Friday. (That was a very liberating experience!) Meanwhile, I had told my family and work colleagues – that was the point at which I was committed to this crazy plan! Then I visited the travel agent’s the following week, and bought the ticket three weeks before I flew. I bought most of my kit (probably most of which I won’t use more than once, if at all) in the last week before departure, and actually packed the night I left. That was after going to the work Annual Party, which I rather egotistically took to be my leaving do. Not bad, a formal dinner, followed by an 8-piece band at the Portsmouth Guildhall just for an office boy who’d only been there 4½ months!

As most of you have probably guessed by now, I am writing this retrospectively, after several weeks of travel. I would like to apologise to those of you who may be reading this who felt that it would have been curteous of me to let you know I was going before I set off. You are, of course, right. I only managed to catch up with a handful of the people whom I had intended to see, call, or e-mail, and I can only offer in mitigation the fact that the weeks before my departure were rather stressful, and somewhat frenetic! To anyone considering embarking upon a similar project, I’d say “go for it!”. There are problems with trying to do everything at the last minute, and it’s not for everyone (particularly if you have a heart condition!), but I don’t have any regrets.

I will send more news when I have a chance. In the meantime, love and best wishes to all my kin. See you in a year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheers Sam, most interesting write up! Look forward to the next destination. I already know ALL about Lima as I had to cover the earthquake there as part of my GCSE Geography coursework with Mr Fay.

Have a great time and look forward to catching up on your return!

Mat

Anonymous said...

sorry sam - it's the first time i've seen this - you've done good ol' boy! very impressed with the swing thing... palms were sweating just watching it! as to your imminent time in oz, ive already prepared my cotton plantation that id like fertilised and eventually harvested! love phil